2009-02-06

Our Alphabet

I was wondering once about the development of our alphabet, and specifically why the letters are in what we all know as "alphabetical order". It's such an integral part of our lives, where did it come from? Never really answered the question, just found that it was rooted in the depths of antiquity. However, I found this neat little snippet and had to save it, so now I'll share it with you. Informative and so nicely put together as a simple animated gif! I wish I could remember where I found it to give credit where it is due.

[Note:] This entry was modified Feb 20. I never got the gif to work properly, but I did find the source. It's from a marvelous page by Prof. Robert Fradkin at University of Maryland called Evolution of Alphabets. The link to the gif is here.

I've noticed that his does not repeat or refresh either. Maybe it's just something in the way I have my computer set up.

No comments:

Post a Comment